Saturday, December 26, 2009

San Cristobal de las Casas





Lovely sophisticated city high in the mountains (~2,000 metres). Dry and very cold at night (3 degrees) - a startling change from the moist, hot jungle. It was warm in the daytime, as long as you were in the sun. Spent a day climbing steps ("stairmasters" as one in the group called them) to see various cathedrals (Templos, possibly built on top of Maya temples). Also window shopped in a multitude of jewellry shops with sumptuous semi-precious stones - amber, jade, turquoise, lapis, coral.

San Cristobel is classy...beautiful streets, high end shops and great restaurants with healthy food and amazing coffee. It is a Zapatista town. Most of Mexico seems meat oriented and it's difficult to get a balanced meal. We ate at a fantastic restaurant with the best menu I saw anywhere. I think I ate there three times. The artwork featured people with their heads covered - to reflect the Zapatista insurgent values. There was a nativity scene where Jesus wore a black wool ski mask, like General Marcos. Our paper place mats had quotes by famous people like Indira Gandhi - "It is a privilege to live a hard life," and Batman, "the masked crusader!"

I've learned some stuff on this trip and reflected on this:

1. I'm capable of solving problems by asking for help - this helps reduce my anxiety and fear of trying new things

2. I get along with enough people to get by very well

3. I have something to offer people that makes for mutually beneficial and rewarding situations

4. If I am unhappy about something I am not the only one, and in fact my perception is totally on

5. I am strong and reasonable and can deal with more than I thought

My second day in San Cristobal I got sick. I couldn't hold anything down and spent the day in bed. Suzie thought it was altitude sickness but Matt, our guide, felt it was more likely a bacterial infection. I wondered about the water I drank in the jungle...I had to cancel the tour I'd booked to a Mayan town where we would learn about day-to-day village life and how they combine Christian and traditional spiritual beliefs.

Our hotel was freezing. I was in my down sleeping bag (one new thing that I'm so happy I brought - and didn't lose!). We were facing a 12-hour night bus ride to Oaxaca. I ended up using suppositories and recovered in time to make the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment